Any time I am asked, or volunteer, to bring a dessert somewhere, these cookies are my go-to. They are seriously, so quick and easy to make and they are so soft and delicious too! If I am being completely honest, I don’t always want to share this recipe because whenever I make them people say things like, “Sugar cookies are so hard!” or “I can’t make a good sugar cookie.” If everyone knew how easy these are, they will realize I am not actually a talented baker. But seriously, these are simple enough that anyone can make them. So I will do the right thing and share the wealth that is this amazing recipe.
One quick tip, I definitely recommend using a baking sheet that is light in color. If your baking sheet is too dark, your cookies will crisp up and burn too easily.
This recipe yields about 24 soft, delicious cookies.
1 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the over to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking soda and baking powder, whisk together.
- With a mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in vanilla and egg.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients until well combined and the dough just starts to form a ball, but do not over-mix.
- Form dough into 1 inch balls and place on an ungreased baking sheet. I always use a cookie scoop so my cookies are all the same size.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes until very slightly golden around the edges. Watch them closely so they don’t get over-cooked and crunchy.
- Remove from baking sheet and allow them to cool on a cooling rack.
6 Tbsp softened butter
3 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp milk
Optional: I always put in a drop or two of pink food coloring to make them a light pastel pink.
- Cream all ingredients together until they are smooth, usually 3-5 minutes.
That’s it! Quick and easy. No chilling or rolling out dough, not cookie cutters. Nothing fancy. Just an soft, buttery, delicious sugar cookie that will not disappoint. Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think!